Tuesday, May 18, 2010

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - lilruby by Joan Williams

Antique style Desert Treasure bracelet
by Joan Williams

WELCOME, Joan and her Etsy shop, "lilruby".  Joan's states that she loves to create designs that make you think of "times long ago and far away"!  When you pay a visit to "lilruby" that is definitely the feeling you get when you look at all her lovely pieces.  I could picture the bracelet above being worn by an Eygptian princess! 

Before you visit Joan's shop, take a moment to learn a bit more about this talented jewelry artist by reading her interview below.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

I have had the urge to create pretty much all my life. I've always loved horses and starting drawing them as a small child, which has continued to this day. When I was a teenager, I planned to become a fashion illustrator, and along with the horses, drew an awful lot of girls with long hair and bellbottoms! Although I dreamed of going to art school, I never got the chance and learned about new techniques by reading about them and just diving in.


Gypsy Hoops copper and czech glass earrings


How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

When my kids were little I didn't have much time for anything beyond an occasional drawing but eventually dabbled in silk floral design, tole painting and also did some commissioned equine oil portraits (more horses!). I gradually started making earrings and bracelets for myself, and that's when I fell in love with jewelry design.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

The most enjoyable aspect of creating for me is the design process - I really love to wander through my favorite bead stores. Something about being surrounded by all those beads lets ideas flow and I can usually design several things in my head.

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your "creativity", what would that be and why?

Lately I've been thinking alot about taking up oil painting again. Now that our kids are grown and I actually have a room just for beads and art I think I could enjoy that.


Victorian style rose and brass charm necklace

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

I don't know that my art conveys a particular message other than the need within me to take inspiration and create something that has beauty, at least to me.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

My advice for others is that if you have that need to create, don't ignore it! Find a way to fulfill it even if you can only steal a few minutes late at night after the kids are asleep!

THANKS, for a great interview, Joan, and for sharing your delight jewelry designs with all of us.  I had fun looking at the different pieces of jewelry and contemplating what "time and place" they reminded me of!

To see more of Joan's creations be sure to visit the links below.

TWITTER

No comments: