Wednesday, May 12, 2010

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - THE SIMPLE THREAD

Verona Upcycled Bag

by THE SIMPLE THREAD

The Verona Upcycled Bag is a versatile hand bag that I have made by hand using a cotton pillowcase in a red, orange, and fuchsia block pattern. The handles which have also been re-purposed were originally wooden hangers. To add comfort to each handle, I have added a leather grip that has been molded to the wood and double hand stitched.




WELCOME, Judy and her Etsy shop, THE SIMPLE THREAD.  When you pay a visit to THE SIMPLE THREAD, you will find fun, whimsical hats, as the main items of creativity, but also "upcycled bags", pom poms and headbands.

Let's take a moment to learn a bit more about Judy and her creativity by reading her interview below:

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

I can’t remember not being an artist. I have always been making things. I did a lot of building and constructing objects as a small child. I also began sewing at eight. I received my first sewing machine for Christmas when I was twelve and it is the same machine I work on today. Throughout adolescence, I went through sewing spurts, mainly sewing with little formality. During my time as a sculpture major in college, I really developed my sense of planning and began to make my own patterns for various soft sculptures. After finishing college, I began feeling that the act of art making was selfish and an act of gluttony. So, I put aside my making for teaching art in an elementary school. Over the past several years of abstaining from the act of making work, I have begun to feel extremely repressed. This is what brought me to upcycling and making utilitarian objects such as bags, hats, and headbands. I am able to enjoy developing and construction again and ultimately I believe this will lead me back to making fine art.


The Prince Josiah Fleece Hat Size toddler

What better than a cozy fleece crown to keep your little prince warm on a cold winter's day. This ready to ship Princess Josiah is suitable for ages 1-3 with a 20" circumference, but please check your little prince's measurements to make sure it is just right for him. If you need a different size don't hesitate to convo me and I will make your prince a crown that is just perfect for him

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

Sewing is accessible at this time in my life with a little one and far easier then having a metal studio or working with wood. Plus, there is a level of immediacy and gratification that I am able to experience. This is much needed since I have been on a hiatus from art making for several years.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

Working through the concept and patternmaking.


The Princess Addison Fleece Hat Size toddler

What better than a cozy fleece crown to keep your little princess warm on a cold winter's day. This ready to ship Princess Addison is suitable for ages 1-3 with a 20" circumference, but please check your little princess' measurements to make sure it is just right for her. If you need a different size don't hesitate to convo me and I will make your princess a crown that is just perfect for her.



If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

I would choose a mango. I have never eaten one, but I have often peeled and sliced them for my family. This connects to my work because I do not use a purse or wear hats or headbands, although I have made them for others. In addition, I enjoy the color combinations and textures of the mango as well. This is where my inspiration in making accessories lies..with the patterning, color combinations, and textures that I am able to utilize or create.


Blue Fleece Pom-Poms

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

I would have to say printmaking because I love the limitless processes.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

As artists we do not have a choice as to whether we should create because we must. It is up to us to be passionate about what we do and everything else will follow.

Thanks, Judy, for taking the time to share your thoughts and creativity with everyone. 
 
To learn more about Judy and her delightful creations pay a visit to the links below.


TWITTER

No comments: