Sunday, June 6, 2010

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - HANDPAINTED PETALS by Sheryl


Wine Glasses Hand Painted CRYSTAL Set of Four Elegant and Timeless

by Sheryl of HANDPAINTED PETALS

WELCOME, Sheryl, and her Etsy shop, HANDPAINTED PETALS!  Everything you see in Sheryl's shop gives you a feeling of  "lightness and joy"....from her handpainted wine glasses, jewelry keepsake boxes, greeting cards, signs and tiles to her votives, vases and boxes.  All of these items have the magical touch of flowers on them.  Be sure to pay a visit to HANDPAINTED PETALS after reading Sheryl's interview below.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

My husband and I were in a car accident caused by a drinker who drove. I have a head injury as a result and while I was rehabbing, I wasn’t able to do much as reading, watching TV or other things were very difficult then. So, I got a video on painting because I wanted to look at flowers. I felt especially drawn to roses for some reason. After a few days, I was tickled pink that my son recognized a rose that I had painted, as a rose.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

I knew a bit about oils (that seemed very difficult), and had attempted water color once so I knew those were out; acrylics seemed like a reasonable start for my adventure.


Hand Painted Birdhouse with Silk Bird, Roses, and Flowers

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

The sense of discovery as it unfolds and makes itself appear, working with the colors, and seeing someone’s happy reaction to one of my pieces (see below). I’m frequently surprised by how things turn out, and I like that. Well, at least most of the time I like the surprises. As Einstein said, “I don’t think I failed. I just now know 10,000 ways not to do something.” Yep, that sums it up for me! I imagine that that sense of discovery will continue because the creating process evolves, too. I also enjoy playing with color combinations, designing to create a color theme, and mixing my own colors. I have to limit myself, though, because I can spend LOTS of time just designing things and creating color palettes. For a while, I had big pots of the primary colors, but when I realized I was spending more time mixing than painting, I changed to the little tubes of color. After all, my whole purpose is to paint something, not just play in paints!

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

Mmmm. Kind of a Rorschach test for my painting!  A plum and a tomato came first to mind, maybe because purple is one of my favorite colors, and red is my favorite rose to paint. I do have a serving tray with various fruits, including plums. And, I did a set of liqueur glasses in a fruit theme using plums, pears, apples, etc. Anyway, I’m hoping to “grow” myself toward painting fruits and veggies in the future, so we’ll see if that produces a plum or a tomato!

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

If I could choose anything, I’d choose sculpture. I love the three-dimensionality of it and that it gives a complete sense – texture, form, movement -- of an image. I’ve never even tried it but it would be fun to give it a go.

More realistically, collage seems like it would be a good fit for me. I like the vintage motifs and some of the whimsy found in those images. I like the possibility of combining that with my painting, but not sure just how to combine them yet.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

If I could convey a sense of joy of looking at something pleasing to the eye, I would feel very happy. I like the sense of connected-ness when I paint something and someone gives it a new home.

I’ve taken launching my painting business slowly because of the brain dents and the challenges it presents me. But, I’m looking forward to selling at some craft fairs and or farmer’s markets around the Austin area. I need a ‘helper’ to keep me focused so I’m waiting til my hubby has some time. I enjoy it very much when I can watch someone’s reaction when they see a piece they like. That’s a beautiful feeling for me!

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

To have a business plan. Even if it’s a hobby, if it involves money and a goal of some kind, you’ve got to have a plan. A business plan doesn’t have to be complicated: it’s basically just a working outline – like a high school theme paper – that you complete to think through you’re endeavor to make the most of your efforts. I'll help if someone would like to get started on one; just email me via Etsy or my blog, below.

Thanks, Sheryl, for taking the time to share your thoughts and wonderful handpainted creations with all of us.  They truly make one feel good to look at them.  There is no doubt that a lot of attention and love goes into each of your creations.

Be sure to visit Sheryl's links below.


1 comment:

Sheryl said...

Donna, I just think your blog is one of the most fun to read -- lots of variety and 'personality'! Thank you very much for interviewing me for your blog. I feel very honored! Enjoy the blessings in this day!